When we are calm, we always know what to say and do when we imagine a hypothetical situation. However, when that situation is actually happening and we are caught in the middle of it, it is so easy to forget those steps. We panic and make rash decisions. Sometimes we lose our cool, but we want to avoid that at all costs.
In the instance of being stopped by the police, here is what you should and should not do, whether you are guilty of a crime or not.
If you are pulled over while driving:
- Keep your hands on your steering wheel where the officers can see them.
- Do not reach for anything including your license and registration until the officer asks you to. Even if you are only reaching for your license, if you do so while the officer is still in his patrol car behind you, he can see into your car and may think you are trying to get a weapon or hide something.
In any situation where you are stopped by the police:
- Be polite and respectful.
- Do not grow angry or argumentative.
- Do not try to run.
- Keep your hands in sight.
- Get the officer’s name and badge number. Patrol vehicle number can help too.
- Get statements and/or contact info from any witnesses.
Whether you are arrested or not, getting identification information of the cop and any witnesses can help back you up, better safe than sorry. You do not want to give the officers any reason to suspect anything of you.
If you end up arrested, you can post bail with a bail bond from Modesto Bail Bond Store. We can be reached 24/7 online and at 209-575-1010. Talk to one of our friendly bail agents for a FREE consultation and feel free to ask any bail-related questions you may have. Ask about our zero down bail bonds and bail bond discounts as well. They will be more than happy to assist you and answer your inquiries.